CLARENCE BOWLING CLUB

WESTON-SUPER-MARE

Bowls England “Club of the Year” 2012

Founded 1907


Beachlands Hotel Sponsors Clarence BC Competitions

Website sponsored by Sampson’s Barbers

Webmaster: David Stott 01934 625404  Email: djstott1952@aol.com

CLICK HERE FOR OPEN COMPETITIONS

LINKS HERE

HOME

CONTACT US

FACILITIES

WsM OPEN TOURNAMENTS

CLUB HISTORY

FIXTURES

OVER 60s TRIPLES RESULTS

COUNTY LEAGUE RESULTS

LATEST NEWS

WHAT’S ON

CLARENCE LADIES

WESSEX LADIES

INDOOR BOWLS

COACHING

YOUTH DEVELOPMENT

SPONSORS PAGES

BEACHLANDS HOTEL PAGE

CLUB COMPETITIONS

WEB LINKS

CLUB OF THE YEAR

FULL SITEMAP

CLUB HISTORY

Much of the following information is extracted from the Club’s  Centenary book -

The Making of a Bowls Club - The First 100 Years

By Ron Higgins & Alan Richardson

Printed and Published by College Press, Burnham-on-Sea, 2007



Clarence Bowling Club owes its existence, in the first place, to Mrs. Rebecca Davies who, in 1882, donated land to Weston-super-Mare Urban District Council, in memory of her husband, for use as a park.  In 1907 the first bowling green was constructed for public use and opened by Mr. B Heap, Chairman of the UDC. In June of that year, the fledgling Clarence Bowling Club applied to the council for exclusive use of the green on several days and thus the Club took its first step forward. Such was the popularity of the game that a second green was built shortly afterward and a third green constructed in 1929.

Membership of the Club rose steadily, interrupted of course by two World Wars, reaching a peak of some 170 playing members in the early 1970s.

The Club can boast several International Caps, County Life Members, County President and Honorary Vice-Presidents, County Hon. Secretary / Treasurer - in addition to County Badged and Middleton Cup players. To date, the Club has been County Club Winner (Turnbull Cup) twice and runner-up once.

The Club has been affiliated to the Somerset County Bowling Association since its inception in 1914 and is affiliated to Bowls England (formerly the English Bowling Association).

The Club Pavilion has had several ‘incarnations’ over the years, the most recent being in the late 1990s when plans were made to extend and refurbish the (then) existing, Council-owned, pavilion. The Council eventually signed over the pavilion to the Club and, after a failed attempt to obtain Lottery Grant Funding, new plans were drawn up for a phased programme to re-build.  

Clarence Bowling Club has always depended upon the generosity and good-will of its members - both in monetary terms and in the selfless donation of members’ time and skills. Several members were experienced in the building trades and, under their direction, Phase One was nearly completed and made rainproof by the end of the 2000 outdoor season.  It was hoped that work would start on Phases Two and Three at the beginning of the 2001 season - subject, of course to the ever-present constraints of finance - and our plans took a dramatic turn when, early in 2001, we learned sadly of the death of a highly respected member of the Club, Les Andrews.

CLICK HERE FOR NEXT PAGE